Why you need fat in your diet?
The first thing you do when you want to lose weight is eliminated to avoid all types of fat or that is what most people do. It is true that fat can make you gain weight, but it is the healthy fats that you need in your diet, not saturated fat.
Healthy fats improve your brain, hormones and healthy fat when consumed correctly can help you burn fat at a rapid rate.
In this article, we will discuss why and how you need fat in your diet.
The keto diet is high in fat and low in carbs which means that 80% of your calories need to come from fat. People fail at this as they eat a lot more carbs than fat. When you eat carbs, your body is creating insulin thus stopping ketones from being created.
As you are eating more healthy fat, you are teaching your body to not burn any fat. Instead, your body is burning all the excess carbohydrates. All this will do is empty your fat reserves. As your insulin is decreased and ketones are produced, only then will your body begin to burn fat.
Ketones are required to give you energy and increase your metabolism, and by eating more fat, you will keep your ketone levels at an optimal level.
The body needs fat, protein and carbs to function correctly and most of the energy comes from fat. For your metabolism to work hard, you need to eat more fat. Most people eat avocados for this very reason.
Eating fat stops hunger and you will even notice that you don’t snack before eating your next meal. This helps you control your hunger and stops you from eating more food than you should. The trick is to eat foods high in fat, to begin with.
Eating healthy fats will increase your metabolism but take note that not all healthy fats increase metabolism. Just do a quick Google search, and you will be ahead of the rest. As you consume fat, it is turned into energy which assists in weight loss.
You can find fat in the following foods:
- Avocado – This has a rich source of fat as well as fibre that can help you get past the keto-flu stage.
- Olive oil – You can use olive oil in sauces, dressings, drizzle it over a completed meal, and it will give you enough fat to last you the whole day.
- Nuts – The best nuts to eat are almonds as they contain roughly 3grams of carbs per 1 tablespoon serving.
There are foods you can eat on the keto diet but should try and limit
- Cheese – Helps you put you at lower risk of heart disease but has a high amount of carbohydrates.
- Cream – Adding a little cream to your coffee will be enough fat for the day but make sure you stick to one serving only.
Try and avoid any trans-fat, which is usually found in processed food. There is no point in getting to a point in your diet only to throw it all away.